- Course Code: USVC18CROADV
- Location: Online
- Duration: 15 hours
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All modern browsers and devices
Advanced Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Certificate Course
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a popular therapy paradigm that is used in the treatment of depression, anxiety, eating disorders, relationship problems and other causes of psychological distress. There are many professional opportunities for those with qualifications in this field.
This course provides further information and practical guidance for those who are already familiar with the basic ideas and implementation of CBT and are looking to further extend their knowledge.
You Will Learn:
- The theory behind Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), its indications and its contraindications.
- The basics of behavioral neuroscience, the link between the nervous system and behavior and how a grounding in this field will help you become a more effective CBT practitioner.
- The key ideas underlying three distinct types of CBT therapy – Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Behavioral Therapy (BT), and Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) – and an overview of the techniques used by practitioners of each approach.
- How CBT practitioners approach the therapy process and how they make use of materials that guide them in helping their clients make positive changes to their lives.
- How CBT-E, a special type of CBT developed for use in patients with eating disorders, works in treating eating disorder symptoms and preventing relapse.
- How CBT can be used to improve mood in people with depression and why cognitive distortions are the key to understanding depression.
- How CBT provides individuals with a set of skills that help reduce their stress levels and risk of burnout, how it can be used to cure anxiety disorders, and why it is a good treatment option for insomnia.
- Why relationship difficulties are so common, how couples and families become locked in dysfunctional patterns of relating to one another, and how CBT practitioners can help them take a healthier approach to their relationships.
- What is meant by the term “addiction," the factors that maintain an addiction, and how a well-structured CBT programme can break the cycles that keep the addiction going.
- What to consider when embarking on a career as a therapist, including how to choose between the private sector and public sector practice and how to meet your obligations under the law.
Benefits of Taking This Course
- You will learn about the cognitive, emotional, behavioral and neurological aspects of psychological distress.
- You will gain insight into several mental illnesses, including their causes and symptoms. This will be useful if you work, or wish to work, with clients or patients experiencing these problems.
- You will discover how human behavior is governed by external and internal factors, which will help you make sense of other people’s behavior both at home and at work.
- Your knowledge of CBT practices will stand you in good stead for a career in the helping and medical professions.
- You can study from any location with an internet connection.
- Learn the material at any time and at your own pace.
- Lifetime access to the course – no deadlines.
- Obtain a recognized certification when completing the course, which will improve your career prospects.
- The basic principles of CBT, including the interaction between thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
- A brief history of CBT and how the first pioneers developed their theories and techniques.
- The problems that can be addressed using CBT, the populations that benefit from it and why it is not suitable for everyone.
- The main methods used by CBT practitioners and the role of the therapeutic relationship in CBT.
- Why CBT practitioners benefit from acquiring a basic knowledge of behavioral neuroscience.
- The key concepts behind behavioral neuroscience and how it helps us understand the actions of both well and mentally ill individuals.
- How noradrenaline affects human behavior.
- The role of dopamine in human behavior.
- An overview of Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT) and its philosophical foundations.
- ACT techniques used by practitioners in the treatment of psychological disorders.
- An overview of Behavioral Therapy (BT).
- The applications of BT and how it can help clients facing a range of problems.
- What is meant by the term “eating disorder.
- The types of eating disorder seen most often in therapeutic practice and the symptoms of each.
- The thoughts, behaviors and feelings usually seen in eating disorders.
- CBT interventions that are effective in conquering the maladaptive patterns underlying eating disorders.
- What is meant by the term “stress.
- Why people become stressed and the symptoms of stress and burnout.
- How CBT can be used to lower a client’s stress levels and improve their wellbeing.
- What is meant by the term “anxiety” and the CBT interventions most often used by practitioners to help an anxious client.
- Why relationship difficulties are so common.
- Why a couple may seek out CBT.
- How a CBT practitioner can work with a couple to uncover underlying problems in how they communicate with one another.
- Why an individual or single person might seek out CBT to help improve their relationships.
- What is meant by the term “addiction.
- The most common forms of addiction treated by CBT practitioners.
- How addiction is conceptualized in CBT and how thoughts maintain addiction behaviors.
- How a CBT therapist structures an addiction intervention therapy program
- How to pursue formal training as a CBT therapist.
- The key considerations to bear in mind when deciding whether to work in the private sector, the public sector, or both.
- How to promote your services as a private therapist.
- How to meet your legal obligations with regards to insurance, tax and supervision.
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in gaining a greater understanding of this subject is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down in to individual modules. Each module takes between 30 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all of the modules there is a 30 (multiple choice) question test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What happens if I fail the test?
If you don’t pass the test first time you will get a second opportunity to take the test again after further study.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download / print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate there will be an admin charge of $16
How can I pay?
We use Paypal for all payments on the site. You can either use your Visa, MasterCard ,American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. All payments are handled securely by Paypal.
Is my payment secure?
As previously mentioned your payment is totally secure. We use the latest ssl encryption for all transactions.
How long after payment can I begin the course?
You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received.
You should receive an email with your log in details as soon as your payment has been accepted. If you don’t get this email please check your junk folder, failing that please contact us for further assistance.
How long is my certificate valid for?
There is no expiry or renewal fees