- Course Code: USFEC18ASP
- Location: Online
- Duration: 15 hours
- Cost: $299.00
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Asperger Syndrome Awareness Certification
The Asperger Syndrome Awareness course is beneficial for practitioners and parents or anyone with an interest in Autism who wishes to improve their knowledge and skill in the area.
We give some basic tips and strategies for supporting people with Asperger Syndrome.
We discuss the history of Asperger’s as a syndrome; definitions of Asperger syndrome and what makes it different from other autistic spectrum disorders. The myths and fallacies about Asperger syndrome will be explored.
We also include the range of conditions which people with ASD often have alongside their main diagnosis.
We examine the current understanding of the biological basis of Asperger syndrome and why it tends to have a high heritability. We will also examine why there are gender differences in the presentation of Asperger’s in men and women.
For people working or wishing to work with people who have Asperger syndrome, we have advice on the therapeutic and educational techniques which have been used, developed or adapted to help support people with Asperger syndrome.
By the end of this course you will have an overview of the characteristics, diagnosis and the effects of having Asperger syndrome on individuals with the syndrome and how this presents challenges to them, as individuals, in the context of school and work and also the implications for family and loved ones.
What You Will Learn
You will also understand some basic tips and strategies for supporting people with Asperger Syndrome.
The course will cover:
- What is Asperger syndrome and how is it defined?
- The History of Research into Asperger syndrome and How it is Diagnosed
- The Causes of Asperger syndrome
- The Effects of Asperger syndrome
- Techniques for coping with AS
- Issues for Adolescents and Young Adults with AS
- Adults with Asperger Syndrome
- How to handle Asperger syndrome while in the workplace
- Famous people with Asperger syndrome
- Support for people with Asperger syndrome
Benefits of the Asperger Syndrome Awareness Certification
There are a number of benefits to those who complete the course and earn their cerftification.
- The ability to study from anywhere and at any time, even when at work or away from home.
- The option to study as quickly or slowly as you wish, as there is no time limit for the course.
- The capability to study from any device including computers, cell phones, or tablets.
- An easy to understand course structure, which is broken down into short modules.
- The convenience of support when you require it, all online.
- A full syllabus giving you the knowledge required to work with and support those with Asperger syndrome, both in your personal and professional lives.
- Improving prospects when applying for work or volunteer opportunities with those who have Asperger syndrome.
- An affordable pricing structure.
- Upon completion, you will receive certification.
- Defining Asperger's - A definition of Asperger's.
- Lack of social understanding - Why people with Asperger's struggle to understand the intent of the other.
- Difficulties with emotions - Why Asperger's people can't relate to the emotional content of their interactions and why Mr Spock is a useful metaphor for this.
- Problems with metaphor, literal mindedness - why you should never ask a person with Asperger's to “pull their socks up'.
- Research into Asperger's - Research into Asperger's really is fairly recent, most of it being carried out in the latter half of the 20th century to the present
- How Asperger's Fits Into the Autistic Spectrum - The relationship between Asperger's, High Functioning Autism and ASF
- Co-morbidities - People with Asperger's sometimes have other diagnosable conditions including dyspraxia
- The Causes of High Functioning Autism and Asperger's - ASD is highly heritable and there are some possible genetic, environmental factors at work.
- Diagnosis of Asperger's- How Asperger's was first diagnosed
- Criteria Based Diagnosis - An examination of how practitioners decide objectively on a diagnosis
- Diagnostic Interview - An alternative tool which includes historical evidence, criteria and an interview
- Precocious development - how people with Asperger's tend to develop, particularly in the area of mature speech
- Behavioral Issues - How some people with Asperger's have behavioral issues in school and adult life and many show a lack of empathy
- Sensory Issues - How people with Asperger's are often hyper or hypo sensitive to environmental stimuli
- Sensory Integration Disorder - A disorder which is caused by different brain functioning and a lack of ability to properly integrate sensory input from all senses into one combined understanding of the environment
- Sensory Integration therapy - A system of techniques generally practiced by OT's to help a person be better coordinated
- Dealing with aggression in people with Asperger's - to improve understanding of why people with Asperger's can get aggressive and how to help minimize the impact
- Understanding theory of mind - An insight into the different world view of people with Asperger's
- Bullying and Asperger's - will examine the reasons why young people with Asperger's may be victims of bullying and what to do about it
- Inclusion and support - Will examine the issues of inclusion in school and how all schools should develop strategies for supporting young people with Asperger's
- Being a sibling of a person with AS - How to understand and support siblings of people with Asperger's
- Asperger's and Women - recent development suggest that there are many adult women with Asperger's but they have not been diagnosed
- Asperger's and relationships - Barbara Jacobsen described this as “Loving Mr Spock'; this section will explore many of the issues faced
- Asperger's and parenting - The possible effects of having one or both parents with Asperger's
- Strengths and Weaknesses - an overview of people with Asperger's in a work environment
- Support Strategies - how employers can get the best out of employees with Asperger's
- Disability Discrimination - what the law says about reasonable adjustments
- Finding the Right Role - advice on how the attributes of Asperger's can be “sold' to potential employers
- Sir Isaac Newton - Physicists and Fellow of The Royal Society probably had Asperger's and displayed a surprising lack of understanding about the world around him
- Alan Turing - computer genius, mathematician who saved millions of lives in WWII
- Susan Boyle - With the voice of an angel, singing talent Susan Boyle has left the world in amazement at both her talents and her very public meltdowns. Although she is perhaps the most famous talent to have come out of Britain's Got Talent, her Asperger's has caused her some very public difficulties
- Chris Packham - The naturalist whose appearances on TV demonstrate the strength of his special interest
- Social stories - How to teach children to manage unfamiliar and new situations, friendships etc.…
- Social skills training - An approach and resources for developing generic social skills
- Peer mediation - new thoughts on how neurotypical pupils can help their peers with Asperger's
- Organizational skills - some tips and practical suggestions on how to help those with Asperger's be better organized
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in gaining a greater understanding of this subject is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down in to individual modules. Each module takes between 30 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all of the modules there is a 30 (multiple choice) question test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What happens if I fail the test?
If you don’t pass the test first time you will get a second opportunity to take the test again after further study.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download / print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate there will be an admin charge of $16
How can I pay?
We use Paypal for all payments on the site. You can either use your Visa, MasterCard ,American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. All payments are handled securely by Paypal.
Is my payment secure?
As previously mentioned your payment is totally secure. We use the latest ssl encryption for all transactions.
How long after payment can I begin the course?
You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received.
You should receive an email with your log in details as soon as your payment has been accepted. If you don’t get this email please check your junk folder, failing that please contact us for further assistance.
How long is my certificate valid for?
There is no expiry or renewal fees