- Course Code: USFEC18CBC
- Location: Online
- Duration: 12 hours
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
If you are curious to understand how the software that you are using every day has been created or you are eager to write your own programs but don’t know where to start, this course is for you! Join millions of people around the globe in learning to code - the most essential skill for the 21st century.
Taking this fast track course will be beneficial if you are looking to become an IT professional or considering a career switch. But even if you don’t want to work as a coder, taking this course would expand your technical knowledge and confidence and give you a new perspective on the technological changes in the world. Anyone can learn to code!
Coding for Beginners Certification
The course contains the essential concepts that anyone who is new to coding should learn in order to start writing simple code. This course is designed with the beginner in mind and packed full of example code in Python - one of the most popular general purpose coding languages in the last couple of years.
By the end of the course, you will also know a lot about object-oriented programming, and learning these fundamental principles will not only give you a background for further study, but will show you another way to think about the world from a machine’s point of view.
What you will learn:
The aim of the course is to help you write and run your first lines of actual code. It is a practical course with fun coding activities and exercises as well as all the needed material to guide you in completing them.
- The history of coding including all notable achievements and computer prototypes
- The main components of a computing machine for storing digital information in binary
- How to create variables, set their data types and use operators for complex calculations
- Controlling the flow of the program by writing conditional statements for recursion
- How to use built-in functions and write your own self-contained code
- How to organise your code in modules and packages that can reference each other
- The ideas behind Object-Oriented coding
- How to construct programs using structures such as classes and instances
Benefits of this course
There are a number of benefits to taking this course, which include:
- A comprehensive, practical and easy-to-understand course material
- Example code with comprehensive explanations using the Python coding language
- End of module activities and a final test which are designed to expand your overall understanding and put what you’ve learned into action
- Can be completed anywhere with an Internet connection
- Gaining relevant knowledge about an ever-growing industry, which will provide you with practical skills for the workforce
- Being able to write simple Python programs at the end of the course
- How codes and ciphers were used throughout history to hide sensitive information
- How cryptography played an important role in the evolution of coding
- Who the British pioneers were that had the most influence on the development of modern computers
- What role World War II played in the advancement of technology and computing
- The difference between data, information and knowledge in the context of writing proper code
- How to differentiate between a high-level and low-level programming language
- What syntax and semantics have got to do with coding languages
- How to install and do interactive coding using Python’s built-in interpreter program
- What variables are in coding and how they are used to store values in computer programs
- What data types are and how they are used to give instructions to machines
- How to assign primitive data types to real life values, use them in your code and their role as fundamental building blocks
- What the various complex types of data are and what they are useful for
- What operators and operands are and how to use them to conduct computational operations
- The difference between the major type of operators and the proper code syntax you should use when working with them
- What boolean algebra is and how to perform logical operations using truth tables
- How to convert data types using special methods that are part of the way operators work
- What flow control is and the multiple mechanisms by which you can direct the execution of your code
- What branching and conditionals are and how to use IF, ELSE and ELIF statements as testing conditions
- What loops are and how to create a loop using FOR and WHILE statements
- Which keywords you should use inside conditional statements and loops to maintain the flow of code
- What built-in functions are and how to use them in order to save time and write better code
- How to print the results from your code on the computer screen using built-in print function
- What user-defined functions are and how to define and call your own functions in Python
- What arguments and scopes are as well as the difference between local and global scopes
- Why code organisation is important for the quality of your code and how to organise your program
- What nested functions are and how functions can be used to create other functions
- What Lambda calculus is and how to implement Lambda expressions using anonymous functions
- What a module is, how to import modules and reference their specific functions across a program and what the Standard Library Modules are
- What Object Oriented Programming is and why it is such an important coding paradigm
- The four fundamental principles of object orientation and how are they implemented in coding languages
- The difference between what a class, instance and object are, as well as how to define them in your code
- How to use methods to modify an object and its data and how methods allow us to reference objects in object oriented coding
- How to implement inheritance in your programs, and what are its advantages over traditional ways of coding
- What multiple inheritance is as well as its practical implementation in a real-life example
- How to read data from external files such as text files and how to make your program write the data from the program to a text file
- How to utilise third-party packages written by other people and the importance of reusing code
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in gaining a greater understanding of this subject is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down in to individual modules. Each module takes between 30 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all of the modules there is a 30 (multiple choice) question test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What happens if I fail the test?
If you don’t pass the test first time you will get a second opportunity to take the test again after further study.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download / print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate there will be an admin charge of $16
How can I pay?
We use Paypal for all payments on the site. You can either use your Visa, MasterCard ,American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. All payments are handled securely by Paypal.
Is my payment secure?
As previously mentioned your payment is totally secure. We use the latest ssl encryption for all transactions.
How long after payment can I begin the course?
You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received.
You should receive an email with your log in details as soon as your payment has been accepted. If you don’t get this email please check your junk folder, failing that please contact us for further assistance.
How long is my certificate valid for?
There is no expiry or renewal fees