- Course Code: USMC21HOB
- Location: Online
- Duration: 45 hours
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Includes the Following Courses
Hands On Bundle
Turn you hobby into a career - four courses are offered in this bundle:
- Soil type, soil evaluation & soil improvement: learn about the different types of natural soil and additional plant mixers which can be used to stimulate plant growth.
- Garden planning & preparation: Understand the importance of initial planning on paper, before beginning the practical aspects of gardening.
- Plant planning & purchase tips: Determine plant types and their uses, discover plant purchasing techniques.
- Maintenance-Soil Nourishment & Watering: Learn the different materials essential for the nourishment of soil to facilitate growing and maintenance of healthy plants.
- To discover the importance of the initial consultation, ongoing discussions, clarity and onsite analysis.
- To understand the necessity of site surveying and garden concept plans to aid the decision- making process and avoid potential mishaps.
- The basic elements of good garden design, including the plant options, hardscapes, texture and color elements.
- To become aware of the process in reaching the master garden plan stage and incorporating further elements into during the implementation stage.
- The importance of gathering inspiration daily from all avenues of your life, nature, other gardens, books, online and your creative inspiration.
- An expansive list of garden design possibilities and the insight that there can be one singular theme, a combination of two or more or an adapted version of any.
- How creating a garden design mood board assists both the owner and garden designer in creating a visual effect of the ideas, colours, plants and preferred overall theme, which can be incorporated into the garden space and features available.
- How to use a virtual mood board created from an array of images.
- Materials and areas of measurements required for surveying a site for garden design
- The various measurement techniques used for accurately measuring the different aspects required for completing a site survey, including curved and irregular areas
- Various scales used in recording site measurements on survey maps
- Correct photographic recordings and survey map drawing requirements
- Learn the benefits of project planning regardless of the size of project
- Become knowledgeable in the stages of project planning
- Discover the importance of creating timelines, chronological action step lists and available resources
- Learn about developing preliminary plans and baseline plans when planning a garden project
- Discover ways to incorporate and create optical illusion methods to enhance small garden spaces so they appear larger than life, such as creating focal points and distractions
- You will learn many techniques including the use of long lines and garden division methods
- The effective use of space to create a garden that suits all tastes and preferences
- Learn about narrow plant varieties, shelf layering and creating a portable garden to suit small gardens
- You will learn how time spent with creative experimentation on paper can result in saving a lot of timely and costly delays and allow for the optimal garden creation for each space
- You will learn how to draw a garden plan which offers beauty and practicality once you have carried out a site survey and consultation
- You will discover how to create a scale for your garden plan that allows ease of following and minimize mistakes
- You will know how to create a graphic from your garden plan to show best visual representation for the proposed changes and design options
- The different considerations you should make before deciding which garden surface materials to choose for each landscape for effective style and functionality.
- The different hard landscaping options, which can be used for varying garden requirements and preferences from solid garden flooring options like stone and concrete to softer, uneven options such as glass beadings or pebbles.
- The advantages and uses of combining two or more hard surface options within one garden such as cost, functionality and style.
- How to be familiar with the creative use of hard landscaping materials that are used to turn dull spaces into stunning visual displays and create functional but attractive garden areas.
- Learn the composition of the various soil types including their textures and unique components.
- Learn the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of soil and what can be done to enhance each for increased fertility.
- Discover the types of plants that are best suited to each soil type: sandy, chalky, clay, peat, silt and loam.
- Discover the secrets of creating great soil by use of organic, natural materials.
- Learn the advantages of planting native species to enhance your garden and surrounding wildlife species
- Learn how to best use space constraints and other factors to adhere to when planning the spatial aspects of plant life.
- Learn about color themes and the color wheel so that the garden plants, shrubs and trees chosen complement the existing background and client preferences.
- Learn about the effect of sunlight and climate features in relation to plant selection.
- Understand plant reproductive systems: Asexual and sexual reproduction, plus a little plant physiology.
- Receive a brief introduction to plant classification for a beginning to what plants to use.
- Learn what plants work well in different gardens and the importance of matching certain plants together.
- Learn about exotic and tropical plants, the care they need and how to grow them in temperate climates.
- About adding container plants to keep the plants owners love without possible difficulties
- How changing irrigation and watering systems can make a difficult garden easier to manage
- About adding new plants with an eye towards low maintenance or new landscaping for easier gardens
- How sometime starting over is the best option
- Why every interior design project begins with a set of preliminary diagrams and a floor plan
- The essential questions a designer needs to ask a client when beginning the design process
- The basic principles of design that should be followed when planning a space
- The steps taken in putting together diagrams and then a floor plan
- Why surfaces and textures are key components of interior design
- Common surface materials used in interior design and how a designer can realize their full potential
- The most common varieties of paint and wallpaper used in interior design
- Common finishes and textures used on walls, doors and ceilings
- Why designers need to consider light sources within a space
- The three main types of lighting used in residential and commercial spaces
- Key issues that must be confronted when working with natural and artificial light
- How to choose appropriate light fixtures, including bulbs
- Why textiles and accessories are important in interior design
- The most common natural and synthetic fibers in use today
- The advantages and disadvantages of working with leather
- How fibers are converted into textiles and how each is typically used in interior design
- Why you need to understand and implement sustainable and ethical design practices
- How to devise environmentally-friendly designs at the earliest stages of a project
- How to minimise the effects of painting and decorating on the environment
- How to source materials, furniture and accessories in an ethical manner that promotes corporate responsibility
- Practical considerations to bear in mind when setting up your business, including the appropriate selection of an office space and the tools you will need to get started
- How to register as self-employed
- Your legal obligations and the procedures you need to follow, including income tax and health and safety legislation
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in gaining a greater understanding of this subject is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down in to individual modules. Each module takes between 30 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all of the modules there is a 30 (multiple choice) question test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What happens if I fail the test?
If you don’t pass the test first time you will get a second opportunity to take the test again after further study.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download / print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate there will be an admin charge of $16
How can I pay?
We use Paypal for all payments on the site. You can either use your Visa, MasterCard ,American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. All payments are handled securely by Paypal.
Is my payment secure?
As previously mentioned your payment is totally secure. We use the latest ssl encryption for all transactions.
How long after payment can I begin the course?
You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received.
You should receive an email with your log in details as soon as your payment has been accepted. If you don’t get this email please check your junk folder, failing that please contact us for further assistance.
How long is my certificate valid for?
There is no expiry or renewal fees