- Course Code: USVC20YSS
- Location: Online
- Duration: 0.5 hours
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: N/A
- Exams Included: No
- Compatibility: All major browsers and devices
Yoga - Sun Salutations
Surya Namaskar is the Sanskrit word which means 'To salute the sun'.
This course will take you through a series of asanas, or poses, to create a graceful sequence of yoga positions.
This pattern of exercise is usually performed at sunrise or sunset in India. It is a perfect warm-up at the beginning of a Yoga session.
The flow gives mobility to the whole body. Salutations to the sun stretch and lengthen the joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments. Special attention is paid to the spine.
The arrangement is executed in quick succession and combined with breathing. They are practised with intensifying pace until the entire body has warmed up and is prepared for additional asana practice.
There are many forms of the sequence, although in this course you will learn three of them.
In the first Sun Salutation the whole sequence, which involves 12 asanas, is coordinated in a smooth flow, with attention given to correct breathing.
Sun Salutation A and B are also demonstrated. They follow a similar sequence with variations. Upward Dog, 3 Leg Dog, Chaturanga and Warrior 1 are among the fascinating poses included in these variations.
The whole sequence emphasises grace, works muscles and joints and focuses on reconnecting with the pattern of one's breathing.
The sequence ends with the word Namaste which means 'The light in me recognises the light in you'.
The spiritual dimension which underlies the exercise sequence is unmistakable but not strictly necessary for the exercises to be effective.
What you will learn:
- The exercise sequence for the Sun Salutations
- The importance of proper breathing.
- Basic yoga asanas and the importance of making them flow into a smooth dance-like sequence.
- Basic Sanskrit expressions.
- The names of the various yoga asanas and the related exercises.
- The long history behind these exercises and the spiritual dimension which underpins them.
Benefits of the course:
- To understand and practise basic yoga asanas or poses.
- Create an awareness of clarity of thought and calm, which you can use in your own life.
- To understand the importance of proper breathing.
- It will give you simple step-by-step demonstrations of the major yoga poses.
- It will teach you to be relaxed, focused and centred
- It will also show you that gentle exercise can make you toned, flexible and help you lose weight
- Become aware of and in tune with your body, which will help you detect any physical or psychological health problems.
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in gaining a greater understanding of this subject is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down in to individual modules. Each module takes between 30 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all of the modules there is a 30 (multiple choice) question test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What happens if I fail the test?
If you don’t pass the test first time you will get a second opportunity to take the test again after further study.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download / print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate there will be an admin charge of $16
How can I pay?
We use Paypal for all payments on the site. You can either use your Visa, MasterCard ,American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. All payments are handled securely by Paypal.
Is my payment secure?
As previously mentioned your payment is totally secure. We use the latest ssl encryption for all transactions.
How long after payment can I begin the course?
You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received.
You should receive an email with your log in details as soon as your payment has been accepted. If you don’t get this email please check your junk folder, failing that please contact us for further assistance.
How long is my certificate valid for?
There is no expiry or renewal fees