- Course Code: USFEC17IDD
- Location: Online
- Duration: 15 hours
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Interior Design Certification
The How To Become An Interior Designer course contains everything you need to know in order to prepare to work as an interior designer. Interior design is a popular career choice for many people who have an interest in the visual arts and home décor, and this profession can be both creatively and financially fulfilling. However, it is important to understand not only the fundamentals of interior design, but also the practical side of working in this competitive industry.
Once you understand the key issues that govern design projects, you will have the confidence to build your own personal style whilst helping your client devise their ideal home or commercial space. This course begins with a discussion of what interior designers do on a day-to-day basis, how they are trained, and the qualities necessary to succeed in this line of work. It then looks at a number of topics within interior design, enabling you to develop an understanding of how interior projects are managed. The modules within this course cover color, project management, furniture, materials, textures, and much more. The course also contains clear, up-to-date information on what you need to consider when setting up your own interior design business. You will also learn about sustainability in interior design; an issue that has recently begun to receive attention in the industry.
What You Will Learn
- What an interior designer does, the history of interior design as a profession, the most popular manual and digital tools used to complete projects, and the typical routes people follow when building their career as a designer.
- How to plan a project, and work with clients and other contractors to ensure that a client brief is filled.
- Important issues that will arise when planning and decorating specific types of space, including kitchens, offices, bathrooms, bedrooms and living rooms, and how to address them.
- An overview of color psychology, color terminology and how interior designers use color to enhance the appearance of a space.
- The importance of selecting appropriate surfaces, materials and textures when deciding on a style and asthetic, including floor and wall coverings.
- The different ways in which lighting can alter the mood and appearance of a space, and how to select the right kind of illumination for any room.
- How to choose furniture for any space, how to draw inspiration from the most popular kinds of style used in interior design, and how to customize furniture so that it fits your client’s vision.
- How to make the most of textiles and accessories to add personality to any project.
- What is meant by the term “green design”, and how you can make sure that your design practice is ecologically and ethically sound.
- The steps you will need to take when starting your own business.
Benefits of taking this course:
- You can learn the material in any place, at any time, and at your own speed.
- All you need is an internet-enabled device.
- Content is presented as brief modules, making learning easy.
- Access to an online support system.
- A complete overview of the steps you need to take in order to become an interior designer, together with an overview of design theory and practice.
- Affordable cost.
- Why every interior design project begins with a set of preliminary diagrams and a floor plan
- The essential questions a designer needs to ask a client when beginning the design process
- The basic principles of design that should be followed when planning a space
- The steps taken in putting together diagrams and then a floor plan
- Why surfaces and textures are key components of interior design
- Common surface materials used in interior design and how a designer can realize their full potential
- The most common varieties of paint and wallpaper used in interior design
- Common finishes and textures used on walls, doors and ceilings
- Why designers need to consider light sources within a space
- The three main types of lighting used in residential and commercial spaces
- Key issues that must be confronted when working with natural and artificial light
- How to choose appropriate light fixtures, including bulbs
- Why textiles and accessories are important in interior design
- The most common natural and synthetic fibers in use today
- The advantages and disadvantages of working with leather
- How fibers are converted into textiles and how each is typically used in interior design
- Why you need to understand and implement sustainable and ethical design practices
- How to devise environmentally-friendly designs at the earliest stages of a project
- How to minimise the effects of painting and decorating on the environment
- How to source materials, furniture and accessories in an ethical manner that promotes corporate responsibility
- Practical considerations to bear in mind when setting up your business, including the appropriate selection of an office space and the tools you will need to get started
- How to register as self-employed
- Your legal obligations and the procedures you need to follow, including income tax and health and safety legislation
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in gaining a greater understanding of this subject is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down in to individual modules. Each module takes between 30 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all of the modules there is a 30 (multiple choice) question test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What happens if I fail the test?
If you don’t pass the test first time you will get a second opportunity to take the test again after further study.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download / print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate there will be an admin charge of $16
How can I pay?
We use Paypal for all payments on the site. You can either use your Visa, MasterCard ,American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. All payments are handled securely by Paypal.
Is my payment secure?
As previously mentioned your payment is totally secure. We use the latest ssl encryption for all transactions.
How long after payment can I begin the course?
You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received.
You should receive an email with your log in details as soon as your payment has been accepted. If you don’t get this email please check your junk folder, failing that please contact us for further assistance.
How long is my certificate valid for?
There is no expiry or renewal fees